Fad diets don’t work for the long term because most people can’t continue to stick to them. If you’ve tried one, you probably remember feeling grouchy, starved, irritable, or deprived.
A healthier strategy is to avoid drastic changes and focus on one step at a time, such as learning what proper portion sizes look like, until it becomes a normal part of your routine.
Tips for a well-balanced weight-loss plan include:
- Always eat breakfast, and never skip meals.
- Eat a variety of lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
- Limit the amount of sugar, refined flour, and saturated fats that you eat.
- Eat smaller portions.
- Watch out for liquid calories, especially sugary sodas and juices. Drink water.
- Make physical activity part of your daily routine.